Real life example
I will start with my own example of wrongly managing my specimen. It happened when I was a masters student at Prof. Lea Eisenbach’s lab, working on establishing clones of stably-transected carcinoma cells. I was at the stage in which I had to revive a clone from deep freeze following a persistent mycoplasma infection of our incubator. It had been months since I’d visited the liquid nitrogen storage (which by then was moved to a new and bigger tank) and it took me lots of time to find the right box - and then only to realize I had a mess in that specific box. In the haste of the moment (I was fiddling with the box a bit too much at room temperature) I took one of the vials even though I was not sure it contained the cell line I needed. Eventually I realized that it was the parental cell line and not the one I needed. Simply put, I wasted materials and two weeks of time and effort due to the lack of an effective specimen management system.